Thursday 28 March 2013

edited symbols

I have edited all of the symbols that I created with this new way of working in mind. I also refined a lot of my symbols so that they are more aesthetically pleasing. I am rather happy with the result of my final symbol ideas.


These are my edited symbols. They have been designed on an indesign document that is the maximum size that the lazer cutter at uni and cut. This is the size that the final stencils are going to be cut to. They are 700mm by 400mm. This is not as large as we originally wanted, but after measuring this size we determined that it was more than large enough to create the impact that we desired. Also, with us now editing the final symbols in this size they were looking very consistent in style. Not all of the symbols above that I have edited have been chosen as final symbols but I quite like them laid out like this as there is a consistency to my design. I am going to get a stencil cut of the symbols that I have designed as well as the stencils for Bath Uni. 

I also had an attempt at the new logo. It is a play on the sustainable energy centre's existing logo. They talk about caffeinne and coffee a lot in their talks and so the idea is that we create a new logo that uses the hexagon shape with a syalised coffee bean in the centre. 

My attempt:


Nathan produced the final logo following this idea:


It is a more rounded version of the logo which looks aesthetically balanced pleasing on the eye. 

We have also emailed the final edited symbols to Bath Uni so that they could approve them before we start on the final stencil layouts. They emailed back rather quickly to say that they were all great, and so it was on with the production of the stencils!

I created the first draft of the layout for the stencils. I chose the stencil that would have the most amount of symbols on it and created this first. My idea was that I would create a grid to structure the stencils so that they looked consistant in style and layout. 
















They wanted numbers on all of the stencils so that they could use the stencils to write chemical equations. These stencil layouts are looking fairly nice. The problem with them is that some feature large gaps because of my grid structure that I have used to refine them. Instead of using a grid, the second version of symbols utalises a footer area which contains the logo and the title of stencil. Then, all of the symbols have been laid out so that the composition looks aesthetically balanced and there is a consistant margin around the edge of the symbol and consistant gaps between symbols.

Final stencil layout:















No comments:

Post a Comment