Thursday 4 April 2013

Poster Research

I was looking through books in the library for inspiration for another project I am working on and I came across these posters and leaflets. They have inspired me for my own leaflet and poster series.


I have photographed these leaflets because of their interesting format.The long thin length and simple type work really well together. The simple, bold colour scheme and stylised, rounded speech marks are powerful and visually impressive. They work so well as a set. They are designed with consistency  only changing the colour scheme and positioning of text. I want to create a series of posters for my input into the science project that compliment my handout. I think that a handout in this format would be powerful. I am visualising 3 or 4 of our symbols running down the leaflet with the title of one of the four subjects (attitudes to chemicals, bio-plastics etc) that the leaflet is about in simple white type in the center.


I also love these posters by BBH london. If my posters are going to work alongside my book giving the same facts then I am going to have very few design elements to work with. I will have a simple statement and a symbol. They are going to need to be bold and striking posters that make people want to find out more about the centre for sustainable chemical technologies. These posters are designed in a similar way. They use a simple, bold and powerful symbol that dominates the composition. The text is left aligned and a rather small font in comparison to the symbol. However, the symbol is fun and interesting. Generally, the balance of the compositions are extremely strong. A design works well when it looks effortless in layout. This is what I need to achieve in my poster designs. I really like the positioning of the logotype in the top right hand corner. This is an unusual placement, you would normally expect it to be in the bottom right, but it creates a diagonal of information through the composition. I need to carefully consider the composition when experimenting with layout for my poster designs. 






No comments:

Post a Comment